Bannockburn, Central Otago, New Zealand
||Medium ruby red with garnet hue
||A captivating fragrance that is both floral and savoury, accentuated by dark red fruit and flinty aromas.
Full of intrigue, this elegant Pinot is from a cooler, elevated site in Bannockburn- in a relatively cool growing season resulting in a taut and energetic wine that is intricately woven with layers of red and black fruit, cedar and mushroom.
The flavours are both intriguing and complex with blackberry, raspberry, lilac, cardamom, wild thyme, and a hint of iodine. The palate is fluid and silky with vibrant acidity that gives the wine length and memory. Enjoyable at release, this wine is apt for cellaring and will continue to evolve for 12+ years.
The location of Valli’s Bannockburn Vineyard is only 20km from Gibbston in the Cromwell basin but the difference in climate is responsible for creating markedly different wines. The Bannockburn wines reflect this warmer area by displaying darker fruits, by being denser, more powerful and with longevity based more on their tannin structure, as opposed to Gibbston wines which are based more on their acidity. The soils are also windblown loess over gravelly schist but with sandier, deeper topsoil, which allows for free draining. Climate, rather than soil, attributes to the main difference in the wines.
- The vines were planted in the year 2000 on deep, moderately sandy and free draining soils.
- 30% aged in new oak barrels for 11 months
- No fining or filtration used during the winemaking process
- 20% whole bunches added
Awards and Reviews
- 95/100 Points - Bob Campbell MW
- 98/100 Points – 5 Starts – Sam Kim, Wine Orbit
- 95/100 Points - Nick Stock, JamesSuckling.com
- 95/100 Points – Cameron Douglas, MS
- 95/100 – Candice Chow, Raymond Chan Wine Reviews
- 92/100 Points - Rebecca Gibb MW, Vinous.com
- 5 Stars – Awarded“Classic” Status -Michael Cooper, Winestate Magazine.